- ·Description of the structure
A maintenance BOM describes the structure of a technical object or material. It can help you determine on what part of technical object maintenance work has to be carried out.
- ·Listing of spare parts
A maintenance BOM is used in plant maintenance for linking spare parts to a technical object or material.
BOMs are used in plant maintenance for the following functions:
- Assigning spare parts to task lists
- Assigning spare parts to maintenance orders
- Localizing damages (identifying maintenance assemblies in maintenance notifications or orders)
We can Allocate Bill of Materials ( BOM ) in 2 ways:
1) Direct Allocation
- When you allocate a BOM directly, you link one object (piece of equipment, functional location) to a BOM. The BOM can only be used by this object in maintenance orders, maintenance notifications, maintenance plan items, etc.
2) Indirect Allocation
- When you allocate a BOM indirectly, you link the master record of a technical object with material master record which has its own BOM. You do this with the help of the field “Construction type”.
Below is a sample of PLant Maintenance BOM defined in SAP:
Note: All the Materials(spare parts) should be defined first in SAP so that you can use them. You can also attach a Text Item or Non-Stock Item also depending on your requirement.